Do you decorate for each specific holiday? Or are you a decor minimalist? Is it all up before Halloween or just before company comes in town?
Organizing should support your priorities, making it easier for you to do what you love year-by-year. But seasonal decor can get neglected because we only see it once a year.
No matter when or how you decorate, the following steps can ease your mental load. Your future self with thank you!
REVIEW + STORE + REFRESH + REMEMBER
Let’s start at the beginning of every good endeavor: questions!
- How long has it been since I have used this item?
- Do I really love this item?
- Do I have decor that is worn out that I need to replace?
- Is this something I want my kids to have one day?
- Do I love using the same decor each year or do I love to change it up?
- If changing it up, are there anchor pieces I want to hold onto?
- Is this a quality item a friend or family member could use?
- Do I have decor that stays in the decor storage box year after year that I can declutter?
- Do I have other seasonal items I can repurpose for a specific holiday?
- Is my current storage solution fitting my needs?
- How often do I need to access my stored decor?
- Can I see the items I’m reaching for?
They stack very nicely, and it’s ridiculously easy to see what’s in each box. Labels are helpful, especially if you’ve chosen sturdy boxes that are not clear.
If you organize more than one room in your home for Christmas, consider storing items by room. If you like things in groups, store by category, like figurines, garland, wall art, and pillows!
Just having items in one place will make your decor process even more of a joy!!
#3 USE + REFRESH
This last step is a simpler, smaller rhythm than a complete decor overhaul. This is great when you have established a system that works for you based on steps #1 and #2.
What can be repurposed from my neighborhood, yard, or home? Stroll around stores for inspiration before making purchases!
Then, I revisit the decor reflections questions considering how I’m going to decorate this year.
You may be surprised by what you can use from your home or your yard! That being said, don’t hold onto anything you know you won’t use simply because you feel you “should” use it. Consider sharing or exchanging decor with a friend, selling online, or donating.
REMEMBER WHY YOU’RE ADDING THIS RHYTHM
We may feel like there are not a lot of things we can control during this time of year. Things happen so fast. After budgeting for the holidays, switching out seasonal clothes, and planning for travel and traditions, I find it a relief to decorate knowing I’ve already made hard decisions.
Small changes can make a big difference. Declutter now, donate now, buy a few clear bins, see how you like them, just start.
Trust me – I’ve learned by trial and error what works for my family this holiday season. I don’t regret making mistakes until I found the system that works for us. I hope it works for you, too!
PS If you’re stuck trying to create a system on your own, schedule a free consultation with our team! We’d love to walk you through these questions and create a sustainable solution for you.