What’s for dinner tonight? This easy mexican rice skillet brings me joy, joy, joy. I want a warm dinner for comfort and ease, and this one delivers!
WHAT DO YOU NEED?
Fresh veggies. Like bell pepper. I don’t love onions, but if you do, an onion would add another great flavor to the dish!
A few kitchen staples: ground beef, red salsa, green chiles, tomato paste, canned corn, black beans.
Rice you’ve prepped previously. Why pre-cooked rice is better for you.
You’re going to cook your peppers, add your meat and seasonings in oil until it’s all cooked and your kitchen smells amazing. Then, you’ll add your pantry staples to amply the flavors and fill out the volume of the meal. Last, you’ll add your pre-cooked rice as your base + top with cheese for maximum comfort level. Check out this good-for-you rice from Lundberg Family Farms.
Add with a chopped side salad if you want. Think tomatoes, romaine, and ranch. Crispy, light, and bright!
THE FULL RECIPE
1 Tbsp oil
1 red bell pepper , chopped *Tip below
2 cloves garlic , minced *Tip below
1 lb. ground beef *Tip below
salt and pepper (to taste)
3 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning (or 1 store-bought packet)
1-1/2 Cup red salsa
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Cup frozen corn (or canned and drained)
1 16 oz. can black beans , drained and rinsed
1 4 oz. can green chilies
2.5 – 3 Cups prepped rice
1.5 – 2 Cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese (or cheese of choice)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bell pepper in the oil for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently to prevent the garlic from burning.
- Add the ground beef and cook for another 5 minutes. After the ground beef is cooked, drain the extra grease. Sprinkle taco seasoning over the cooked ground beef and stir until the ground beef is covered with the taco seasoning.
- After the ground beef is seasoned and cooked, add the drained or frozen corn, black beans, salsa, tomato paste, and green chilies. Stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed throughout the dish.
- Add the cooked rice and combine in the skillet till the whole dish is warmed through.
LAST EASY SKILLET THOUGHTS
This recipe has plenty of ways you can get ahead and cut time out in the skillet process: Dice peppers or jarred fire roasted peppers ahead of time. Brown ground beef ahead of time (store in the fridge or freezer). Buy pre-minced jarred garlic.
You can play with the seasonings, veggies, meat, and beans with this skillet to transform it into any kind of skillet you want! You may like my quick-chicken-fried-rice.
Another favorite? Ground beef, garlic powder, salt and pepper, fresh zucchini. Add rice and cheese to make it a warm skillet meal.
Get more ideas + thoughts on the rice strategies blog.
Need help brainstorming meals like this or learning how to stock your pantry? Contact me to get started.
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment